In 1912 London Underground took over the London General Omnibus Co (LGOC), separating the division which produced buses and other equipment, as the Associated Equipment Company (AEC). A short-lived joint venture with Daimler was called the Associated Daimler Co. Most AEC vehicles built up to 1925 were supplied to the LGOC. From 1927 production moved to Southall. For half a century AEC were market leaders in heavy trucks and buses, making Matador military trucks, Mammoth Major, Mandator and Mercury civilian lorries and Regal, Regent and Reliance bus and coach chassis. In 1948 AEC took over Crossley and Maudslay, in a holding company called Associated Commercial Vehicles (ACV). In 1949 ACV added Park Royal Vehicles and Charles H Roe to the group. Large quantities of the famous Regent (RT) and Routemaster (RM) buses were made for London Transport. In 1961 ACV took over Thornycroft.In 1962 ACV was taken over by Leyland Motors. In 1968 production of double decker buses stopped, and in 1977 the AEC badge disappeared.
Liquid error (quick-shop line 3): include usage is not allowed in this context