Based in Preston, Atkinson distributed Sentinel waggons, then began manufacturing their own steam vehicles during the Great War. Having tried to carry on with outdated steam technology for too long, the firm was reorganised in 1933 as a maker of diesel lorries, building up a fine reputation over the following decades for customer service, recognised by the distinctive 'A' in a circle on the radiator grille. Notable vehicles included the Alpha bus, the Omega oilfield truck, and 6x6 snowplough-gritters for the Ministry of Transport. In 1968 names were given to the entire Atkinson truck rang. The Borderer was a two-axle artic tractor unit, and the Leader was a three-axle artic tractor unit. The Searcher was a three-axle rigid chassis, and the Defender was a four-axle rigid. The Venturer was a three-axle heavy haulage tractor. Raider was the name for a two-axle rigid chassis, but for some reason the name was never used. A single Borderer converted to a 6x2 Chinese Six chassis was unofficially christened Buccaneer. In 1970 Seddon took over Atkinson. The new combined Seddon Atkinson group went through a number of hands after 1974; first acquired by International Harvester, then ENASA and Iveco, before fading into non-existence in 2005.
Liquid error (snippets/quick-shop line 3): include usage is not allowed in this context