In December 1899 Thomas Blackwood Murray and Norman Fulton set up the Albion Motor Car Co Ltd in Scotstoun, Glasgow. From 1901 they made small 'dog-cart' cars, but they later became famous for lorries, buses and fire appliances. In 1951 Leyland acquired Albion in order to expand their own production capacity. The Albion brand was retained, but there would be a creeping rationalisation between the ranges in future. Albion's four-axle lorry was called the Caledonian, other types included the Clydesdale, Reiver, Chieftain and Claymore. Albion buses retained the prewar V names; Viking, Valiant, Victor, Ventura and Valkyrie, floowed by the Nimbus, the Aberdonian and the Lowlander double deck bus. Leyland wanted to project a stronger image to buyers, so in 1972 they dumped names they regarded as peripheral, including Albion. Models such as the Reiver, Clydesdale, Chieftain and Viking continued, however, but fitted with Leyland badges.
Liquid error (snippets/quick-shop line 3): include usage is not allowed in this context