In 1922 Shelvoke & Drewry Ltd was set up by Harry Shelvoke and James Drewry, who had been General Manager and Chief Engineer at Lacre. Their first design was the small-wheeled low-load height Freighter two-tonner, initially marketed as a lorry, then finding its place in the market with municipal bodywork. By 1932 the 1000th had been sold. In 1935 James Drewry left to join Hands Trailers, replaced by C K Edwards, who designed the New Type in 1937. Up to this timer all SDs had tiller sterering, but by 1939 some had a steering wheel. With bus bodywork, they were called Tram-o-cars. In 1932-37 some tractor units were licence-built to a Latil design. After the war an updated Freighter was produced, called the W Type, which sold well. Tipping and compression refuse vehicles became popular. In 1952, due to difficulties importing Hyster heavy duty forklifts, SD made Freightlifters, later replaced by the Defiant forklift. In the 1960s the T Type joined the W Type, which was facelifted with a GRP cab, and Pakamatic bodies began production. In 1962 harry Shelvoke died, and in 1966 SD merged with Butterfield, the tanker builders. The 1970s saw the introduction of the Revopak and the N Type. The NY had a Motor Panels steel cab, whereas the NN had the GRP cab. In 1975 Conveyancer took over forklift production, and a new SPV (Special Purpose Vehicle) division was set up, producing off-road vehicles and rescue tenders in conjunction with Carmichael. In 1979 the P Type chassis and low-height Citytruck were launched. rnIn 1983 Dempster of the USA took over the Butterfield-Harvey Group, renaming SD Shelvoke-Dempster, making RouteKing and RouteChief vehicles. Sales fell, market share was lost and another new owner failed to save the company, which closed in 1991.
Liquid error (quick-shop line 3): include usage is not allowed in this context